Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Update: Concepts for Wedding Gown


Okay, folks, I know it's been a long time since the initial post, but life has been hectic! Here is my update post, focusing on my current project, a gown for my upcoming wedding.

I rarely start projects with sketches, but for something this ambitious, I wanted to have a good idea of where I was headed before I wandered off into pattern-creation-land. This sketch is the overall look I'm going for in both fabric and crochet; the fabric that I have for this project is a peach satin, and the crocheted gown will become an overlay.

The overlay is being worked in a combination of slanted shells and an open chain/single crochet mesh. And I am diligently transcribing the pattern as I go along, so hopefully I should have that available upon completion.


Below left, you can see some of the progress I've made on it so far; this is the front bodice and the two front skirt panels loosely blocked on my mannequin, Gigi. The other two skirt panels and train are completed (excepting the trim, which will be added after I do a fitting with my shoes), but I wanted to wait until I at least get my lining fabric cut before I blocked them, so I can test the drape and all the tucking accurately. More posts as I progress further, of course, and perhaps now that I have a somewhat reliable camera, you will be seeing pictures (and perhaps patterns) for some of my completed projects. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment